Movie cliches

Your comprehensive film guide to visual masterpieces and pretentious hipster eye candy
Forum rules
This forum is accessible to both students and guests

Movie cliches

Postby Professor » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:55 am

I found a list of the most cliched movie elements, but they forgot to include some of the ones I see all the time:

1. "looks like you're about to kill me, but look down here, i got my knife on your stomach" .. you see this all the time in action movies where they are fighting and one guy seems to get the upper hand in a sword fight, but then they pan down to the other guy also about to deliver the secret death blow (3 Musketeers, Pirates of the Caribbean, Batman)

2. hipsterizing period piece movies. this faggotry must die. nothing worse than watching the 3 Musketeers and you're forced to endure a computer generated locking system designed by Leonardo Da Vinci.. and 3 guys being killed by a special forces version of a medieval crossbow that fires 500 rounds per second or mila jovich doing an imitation of a matrix/indiana jones trap dodging sequence. (Van Helsing, Wild Wild West, A Knight's Tale)

3. ... :-O

ok i guess that's it. that was a short list. :dance:
social interaction is an interruption.

shape or be shaped.
Professor
Dean of Beatdowns

Re: Movie cliches

Postby Professor » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:42 pm

social interaction is an interruption.

shape or be shaped.
Professor
Dean of Beatdowns

Postby uncleFeelings » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:15 am

I got one.

Resuscitating a dead patient in vain using CPR:
Ok, i've seen this in at least 20 movies and haven't realized it until now..a doctor or medic or whoever trying to revive a dying person eventually has to take drastic measures. Realizing the patient's heart has stopped, the doctor begins with some vigorous chest pumping and mouth-to-mouth. Sweat forms over the brow of the doctor because he's getting a workout or his emotions or he's exhausted--whatever. But then reality hits.. everybody in the room realizes the patient is passed the point of no return except the doctor doing the CPR.

"I'm sorry, bro (putting hand on shoulder )..he's gone"

The doctor stops momentarily.Then,in bout of temporary insanity, he says, " no..he's not gone..he can't die..wake up, damn it! wake up!..don't you give up on me". The CPR continues...

For the sake of drama, he's either going to do some more desperate pumping and breathing or he's gonna roll his hand into a fist and pound the chest of the corpse like king kong.

Its at this point, the doctor went from trying to save a dying person to desecrating a lifeless body.
uncleFeelings
Jedi Bonersaber

Postby Smock » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:58 pm

That part of a movie or TV show where the main character tries to better themselves. While he(usually) does that, some kind of pump-up music track is playing. The character is doing what needs to be done very intensively. The effects and transitions are used to give us the impression that the character has done nothing but train, eat, and sleep. Today, I usually see this in childrens' TV shows and movies. It lost some of its touch. The most prevalent scene I can think of off the top of my head would be the Rocky scene with the trumpets playing in the background.
Smock
Jedi Bonersaber

Postby Travtowski » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:06 pm

Smock, I think you mean a MONTAGE!!!

"Think of this training as a fun adventure instead of as a chore. Quit dreaming about how much better your life would be once you became socially competent and start training right now." - MrCareBear
Travtowski
Jedi Bonersaber

Postby Smock » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:20 pm

Travtowski wrote:Smock, I think you mean a MONTAGE!!!

Spot on Travtowski! :dance: I knew that it had to have a specific name! I never knew that was what it is really called!
Smock
Jedi Bonersaber

Return to The Playhouse